The world through my distorted lens... a distorted world through my lens.

The Door Syndrome

I grabbed the remote control and without looking at it I pressed 2-2-3.  My fingers  pushed down on the button combinations in quick succession without sending any impulse to my cranium box. 
The TV didn't respond accordingly. Instead of displaying  2-2-3 as I punched the keypad, it only showed 2-2 and then froze. Several repeated thumb movements didn't change much.
"What's wrong with this remote device again" I said in silence.



"Why will it be hanging when it handles no complex task. Is it not just a wired panel that is meant to do just one thing? Change the dial? Why is it now freezing like BlackBerry Curve?... "
I tried some old tricks of turning the remote device in different directions, North, West and East while I pressed it yet no show. I raised my hand, giving the handset some elevation and pressed it again and again still no show. Hand still up and forward, this time I pressed on the buttons with more pressure as I tilted it in acute and obtuse angles but still same story.
I knew it had to be the battery. I knew I had to replace the battery for it to come alive but I was too relaxed on the sofa to get up. If I  get up from this position, I might not find this exact spot where this sofa gave solace to me in undiluted comfort. But the clock was ticking, it was almost time for Chelsea match. I wanted not to miss the team line up and pre match interviews and analysis. So I sprang up from my comfort zone and headed for the kitchen where spare batteries were kept in the cabinet.
I met a closed kitchen door so I placed my right hand on the door knob, squeezing it to open the door, I entered the kitchen room.
As soon as I got in, I was greeted by a rat that tormented the house. Usually before now, when I bump into the rats, they run and I chase. But now the tables have turned. The rat sat on the sink, saw me coming and remained motionless with bold eyes and erected whiskers. One would think it was dead if not for the momentary swinging of its tail. I threw my hands in the air towards its direction in order to scare it out of my sight. But it didn't move an inch. I had to be armed with two formidable weapons from the kitchen arsenal, a machete on my left hand and a pestle on my right, to get the rat out of sight. Rats of these days. SMH!.
Feeling triumphant, I took some bold steps round the kitchen, stamping my feet as I matched round. Then I paused for a moment, trying to recollect what must have brought me to the kitchen before the encounter with the rat. I walked further in a circular path, wandering and wondering what brought me here. I stood still facing the wall-fan that sat at the top center of the opposite wall and rubbed my right hand on my head, trying to remember what I wanted to do in the kitchen.
"Something important brought me here, what is it?" I said to myself.
My memory was temporarily blacked out. I looked around for any clue. But found none. Nothing was cooking, the dishes were washed and I wasn't hungry.
"It must have been the door syndrome" I thought to myself.
I still have not figured out what was in doors that make people partially forget the reason why they entered into a room sometimes.
The door syndrome - Different from schizophrenia and far lesser than amnesia.
One way to regain the lost memories in a door syndrome is going back to your immediate previous location.
After a long thought, I decided to go back to the living room. Halfway into the living room, I saw the remote control on the table and then I remembered what made me visit the kitchen.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts